SIMON MUNTEMBA writes
POST-MORTEM results have ruled out any foul play concerning the death of a 6- year-old girl of Chipata’s Mchini compound believed to have been defiled by a named resident of the same area on January 15.
This is a matter in which the minor was alleged defiled and strangled to death by a named suspect.
According to an eye witness, Pilila Daka, police had to fire teargas canisters to disperse irate Mchini residents who wanted to demolish the house belonging to the suspect.
Daka who is a neighbour of the suspect said residents were incensed when word went round that the suspect had been handed over to the Police.
“It is believed that the girl went to play with her friends on January 15 but never returned home and was only discovered around 18:00 hours lying behind her house near the flower fence.
“The mother of the girl took the child in the house and noticed that she had some stains of blood in her nose and mouth and was lifeless,” Ms Daka said.
But in an interview, Eastern Province commissioner of Police Alex Chilufya said preliminary investigations have indicated that the child was not subjected to any kind of trauma or defilement.
Mr. Chilufya said people were just speculating, adding that there was nothing that doctors could find after examination to connect the death to defilement as all the organs were normal and intact.
However, Mr. Chilufya said investigations into the matter are still on-going and that the suspect was still remanded in custody.
And Mr. Chilufya has revealed that property worthy K51,000 was destroyed yesterday during the confusion which happened at the suspect’s house.
He cautioned people against taking the law into their own hands, saying police would not condone lawlessness.