SIMON MUNTEMBA writes
RESIDENTS of Shisholeka village, in Chieftainess Nkomeshya area in Chongwe District were yesterday thrown into mourning following the death of seven members of a family who were burnt to death, while two among them the owner of the house are in the hospital battling for their lives after sustaining serious burns in a mid-night inferno that razed their house.
The fire is alleged to have started when Lawrence Muzolewa, 43, was pouring Petrol in a container which later spilled on a brazier and engulfed the house.
Police public relations officer, Esther Katongo has confirmed the incident which happened on Monday, August 3 around 20:00 hours to The Sun in a statement.
Ms Katongo said seven members of the same family aged betwwen one and seven had been burnt to death after the house in which they were sleeping caught fire.
She said the matter was reported to Police by the victims’ grandfather identified as Misheck Njovu aged 74 of the same village.
“The matter was reported to Police by Misheck Njovu aged 74 of Shisholeka Village, Chieftainess Nkomeshya, the grandfather of the victims and identified the deceased as male juvenile Misheck Njovu aged five five Years, Female juvenile Maggie Matibenga aged 6 years, female juvenile Emeldah Moyo aged four years, female juvenile Marvis Moyoaged three years, female Juvenile Rebecca Matibenga aged three years, male juvenile Amon Matibenga aged one year two months and female juvenile Harriet Matibenga all of the same family.
Ms Katongo said Mr Muzolewa aged who is the owner of the house and Gift Matibenga aged 12 years who were also in the house at the time of the inferno survived with burns on their faces, hands and legs.
She said Muzolewa was admitted to Chongwe District Hospital while Matibenga was in Levy Mwanawasa Teaching Hospital.
Ms Katongo said the bodies of the deceased were deposited in Chongwe District Hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.