MUKWIMA CHILALA writes          

@SunZambian

FAZ has halted all league matches for the next two weeks with an exception of rescheduled games, says Zambian Super League interim manager Brian Mulenga.

Mulenga said the decision had been taken due to various factors among them, the upcoming FIFA international calendar week which starts next week.

He said that majority of the teams in the league were missing their key players which have supplied to the two national teams the Chipolopolo and the U-23 sides preparing for the qualifiers and AfCON tournaments respectively.

Mulenga said some teams had been depleted due players on national duty and further compounded by injuries among those that have remained behind.

He said in order to provide a level playing field for all teams, he in consultation with FAZ general secretary Adrian Kashala decided to put on hold all league fixtures starting from the November 9- 23.

“Look the national team which started camp on Sunday, the Under-23 are also out in Egypt and bear in mind that the league has a total of 520 players or so, out of that about 36 are with the national team while 14 with the under-23 now if you add that it gives you 50 which means that 10% of the players in the league are out,’’ Mulenga said.

He said to make matters worse some teams which he did not want to mention had injury problems.

He said one team had been playing with only 14 players due to injuries and so to make the playing field level it was decided that  we postpone all fixtures until somewhere on November 20 after consultations.

FAZ have however clarified that the December recess would also go ahead just a week before the Christmas break so as to accommodate the upcoming COSAFA Under-20 which Zambia is expected to host in Lusaka.

Leave a comment below.

Leave a Reply